AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Lord Of The Rings Athon Begins

(c) Andy Ternay
  • My sword and axe. The sword is hand forged, based on a sword found in the Kragehul Bog of Denmark and dated back to 500 CE. The axe is also hand forged. It is a francesca throwing axe dated from about 500 CE as well.

  • Laura and I have started the process. Last night we watched the first half of the The Fellowship Of The Ring. the extended cut. So, by my count we only have about eleven hours left to see between the extended cuts of The Two Towers and The Return Of The King. That seems long until you realize that about every two to three years since I was sixteen or seventeen I sit down and reread the trilogy cover to cover, a process that consumes at least a month's worth of all of my leisure time. I enjoy every minute of it.

    When I was a child, my father read to me. I have no idea how old, or how young I was. Obviously at first it was stuff like Dr. Seuss, but as I aged we moved to other books. He read me the entire Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. At some point thereafter he began to read J.R.R. Tolkien to me.

    I was asked this past Saturday by my therapist what my happiest memories of childhood are. Without hesitation I told her it was being read to by my father. And when I think about what it means to be a father, that is what I most look forward to, reading to my child. Goddess willing, I shall have my chance to do just that.

    I don't always have the nicest things to say about my parents here. I try to write what I honestly feel at the moment as clearly as I can. But I wanted to say today, Dad, thank you for taking the time to read to me. You have no idea what a gift that has been that all these years later, that is what I miss most of my childhood. That told me you loved me louder than any words. I love you too.

    Blessed Yule Everyone!
    |