AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Monday, October 11, 2004

Robbie's Place

Sorry, no photo today, I am on dialup.

Happy, happy, joy, joy--I am at my friend Robbie's! It is so cool to see her again. Robbie has two little minature daschounds (sp?) Scrappy and Scout. Scout is less than six pounds and loves to cuddle-I think she spent a decent part of the night with me. Scrappy barks at me. Robbie assures me that this is because I am a stranger, but I am wondering if this is also because I am male. I think probably fewer of my sex visit here.

What can I say about Robbie? I can't easily link to a past post, so bear with me as I reintroduce her. Robbie was my first girlfriend back in high school. We dated for a pretty long time, I don't clearly remember how long. Robbie came out as being gay while we were dating, which did make things awkward for a little bit. Fortunately for me, she did not want to end the friendship. Niether did I. We stayed friends for years.

When I moved to Colorado for law school, I cut contact. I was entering the seriously anti-social period of my drinking and did not want to stay in touch with anyone really, I pushed away some really good friends at that time, some of whom I have been competely unable to reconnect to . Robbie was one of those people. What made it worse is that she had changed her name and I could not remember what she had changed it to. So when I sobered up and started hunting for friends, I could not find her.

Again, Fortuna smiled on us. Robbie was looking for me too. So after ten years, I got a call out of the blue from Robbie! I have now been able to visit her in up where she lives in South Bend, Indiana three years running (well, she and Amber, her partner visited me in Chicago the first year).

Robbie is like a sister I never had, or a best friend I was always comfortable with. She is a survivor of Hodgekins Lymphoma and you can read about her adventures with that at Adventures of Super-Chemo Girl. For the past several years I have been very jealous of her because I felt that she had the job I always wanted--professor at Notre Dame. This year, Notre Dame closed her department and she is now a part of the Bush Recovery, looking for work. If I could hire her I would.

Amber is a really cool person too. She is a deeply Christian person in a way that most Christians could only fantasize about being. That means she lives her faith. I have said it before and I will say it again: if I had known there were actually Christians like that when I was god shopping, I might well be a Christian. Fortunately, that did not happen and I get to dance under full moons.

Amber works for AM General. She builds engines for the Hummer 1, the ones that are currently rolling in Iraq and Afghanistan. Sadly, she gets a lot of overtime these days. Knowing Amber, I feel that our troops are safe at least from the standpoint of the performance of the Hummer engines.

Time to eat breakfast. This post should be 100,000 words, more than I have ever written on a consistent basis in all of my life. Blogging rules. The only way things could be better would be if my wife was here too.

Good Morning Goddess Brigit, my name is Andy and I am an alcoholic. I have been kept sober since Imbolc 2001 by Your grace and Your grace alone. I'd like to take this moment to thank You my Higher Power for this, my daily reprieve. Today is a great day to be SOBER!

Please, Great Mother, be with me today all through the day and help me to stay sober all day long. Show me Your will for me and grant me the power to carry that out. Thy will, not mine be done. Thank You, Blessed Be.
|