AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Friday, October 08, 2004

Trade Show Day One

(c) Andy Ternay
  • My Travel Altar's carrying case. It is a jewelry box about 2.5" x 6" and holds everything I need for full scale rituals.

  • (c) Andy Ternay
  • Full Altar setup in the hotel room. I like to cast a circle and cleanse the room for my stay. Also pictured are my Tarot deck, AA daily meditation/prayer books, incense setup and an image of Brigit. I use a Leatherman Wave multitool as an athame and bolline.

  • There is one thing bothering me now and that is, I think I am getting sick, my sinuses are sore and my throat is dry and tickling. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but last night when I went to bed it was starting and this morning it is noticeably worse. We'll see how it goes.

    The guy I am at the trade show with is the son of the owner of the company. He is not a bad guy, but he is hard to be with because he is so depressed. In a nutshell, he was given a division of his father's company to run and that division went from a $30 million per year division to a $2 million per year division. His former employee is now his boss (at least in name). I'll call this guy WK for convenience. WK is a chain smoker who has been specifically told by his doctor he has to quit if he wants to live.

    Last night, just during dinner, he smoked six cigarettes (Goddess, that you for helping me quit smoking!).

    WK is a very depressed man and when I view what he does through the lens of his depression everything makes sense. A lot of people think he is lazy, I think he is so depressed (and angry) that he can barely function at all. I honestly think that explains why he does so little work.

    Being with him is difficult because to him the glass is always half empty. I rely on the Fourth Step prayer from AA: This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? Goddess save me from being angry. Thy will be done. This trip is even harder, his candidate for president is going to lose and mine is going to win. I simply won't discuss it with him at all.

    That is also not to say he is useless. WK has years of experience and I can learn from him, if I am willing. That last is the tricky part.

    Yesterday was interesting. I missed my flight, had to get the next flight. The booth arrived, so we are in good shape.

    I miss Laura (I think I am giving up on the pseudonym, I keep forgetting anyway, so, everyone, my wife's real name is Laura). Funny, at the end of my drinking I could not stand to be around her, now I can't stand to be away! I like it better this way.

    A lot of people have been leaving comments and I appreciate that. I'd always hoped someone would find this interesting but secretly I thought most people would find it stupid and dull. I enjoy visiting your blogs, those of you who have them. I have not had time to respond like I want to these comments, in fact it has been a battle making time to blog each day lately. On November 3rd things will be better and I will be able to respond.

    Good Morning Goddess Brigit, my name is Andy and I am an alcoholic. I have been kept sober since Imbolc 2001 by Your grace and Your grace alone. I'd like to take this moment to thank You, my Higher Power, for this my daily reprieve. Today is a good day to be Sober!

    Please be with me today, all day long and help me to stay sober all day long. Show me Your will for me and grant me the power to carry that out. Thy will, not mine, be done. Keep an eye on our soldiers, please. Thank You, Blessed Be.
    |