AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

ANWR Revisited

  • This vehicle fueled by the blood of AMERICAN SOLDIERS.

  • Last week, Zippo objected to my post on the drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Obviously we're simply going to have to agree to disagree on some things. There are some points I should clarify though, and one or two questions bothering me.

    I have no intrinsic dislike of SUV's, Hummers or large trucks. I do dislike the fact that what is on the market now is designed to perform in a wasteful and inefficient manner and on top of that, pollutes like hell. Address these issues and I'll be buying SUV's myself. And it's not like these issues can't be addressed; Ford has the Escape Hybrid, Toyota/Lexus have their upcoming hybrid SUV's (the Lexus RX400H and the Toyota Highlander Hybrid). There is no reason in the world why we cannot have our big, roomy SUV's and also have fuel efficiency and clean emissions-no reason except the opposition of a small but incredibly wealthy industry and a lack of will to do so.

    One thing I have never understood about conservatives is how they can be so opposed to Islamic fundamentalism as a threat to America and yet be so willing to send millions upon millions of dollars to Islamic fundamentalists via the gas pump each and every day. Why not send those millions and millions of dollars directly to the American farmer instead?

    Really? Can it be done? Replace sending our hard earned dollars to the Middle East and instead spend them right here at home helping the American farmer? How can this be done?

    Simple. Biodiesel.

    The first time I read about biodiesel, I thought it was bullshit science fiction that was a generation or more from becoming a reality. I mean, come on, you can't run an ordinary Ford or Chevy diesel on the oil left over at McDonalds after a hard day of frying french, er, freedom fries can you?

    Actually, yes, you can.

    There are even biodiesel RV's. Right now I have some friends in Austin who are running thier diesel VW Bug on 20% biodiesel and 80% conventional diesel. They are looking into converting it to 100% biodiesel and I asked them how much that would cost them and the answer was about $800 for the conversion kit.

    Right now, stations selling biodiesel are selling it for about $3.00/gallon, at least in Texas. But that is a question of scarcity, not of cost to produce. Hell, you can literally produce your own biodiesel in your own backyard.

    This should be a no-brainer. Who would you rather send money to?
    These guys?
    Or these guys?

    There are many reasons to support alternative energies, one for just about every ideology. Here are some examples.

  • Neoconservative: to protect our national security.
  • Christian: Maybe that bit about dominion in Genesis meant responsible stewardship instead of taking a dump on the planet.
  • Protect our national heritage: by not polluting it.
  • Economic: new industries, new jobs, new technologies.
  • Environmental: a clean planet.

    I can go on, but I am tired and have to go to work. But really, I think that environmentalists and conservatives should be natural partners. It is my belief that a false notion that these philosophies contradict each other has been invented by and for a small set of industries who want to protect their financial interests at the expense of the lives of American soldiers. Maybe I'm completely wrong, if so, let me know why you think that way. Because I don't understand it at all.

    So, I'm asking, just think about it.
  • |