AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Thursday, October 28, 2004

I'm A Terrorist!!

(c) Andy Ternay
  • Don't freak, this photo is at least 10 years old. I don't think I have even held a firearm in the last ten years.
  • No wonder this week seems to be filled with chaotic energy! Let’s see: total eclipse of the moon, full moon, Samhain, Boston Red Sox win World Series and all of this is immediately followed by an election. On top of all of that, Saturday is my eleventh wedding anniversary! Lots of things going on. I believe we have decided to celebrate our anniversary a week late just so things have settled down. But I had better confirm that so that Saturday has no ugly surprises.

    Laura and I were afraid that we would not get to see the lunar eclipse last night because it was raining. She likes to show off a little thought, so right on schedule it cleared and as we walked the dogs more and more of the moon disappeared. I was able to take some photos, but I doubt if they are any good because I don’t have a tripod and it is hard to hold a camera absolutely still for two seconds. In any case, we were able to see the entire moon vanish before clouds built up again and hid it. Very cool indeed.

    Tonight is the full moon, I will probably try to do a small ritual myself, just a prayer really to keep our soldiers safe. I have become uncomfortably aware recently of the fact that I enjoy freedoms others protect for me. I kind of wish I had served, but I chose not to. In fact, I kind of looked down on those who did as suckers. I was wrong. They are simply people, doing the best they can with what they have and the circumstances they endure in doing so are what make them special.

    Congratulations Boston! It must be wonderful to see a sports team finally win the highest achievement of the sport. I would not know what that is like, I grew up with the Texas Rangers.

    I was able to see some internal polls by the Republican party on some of the left wing political blogs. The news for Bush is grim and it explains the behavior of Repugs in Ohio and Florida. What is says, in a nutshell is that Bush beats Kerry 48 to 46 . . . if minorities don’t vote. If just African-Americans vote for Kerry the way they did in 2000, then it becomes Kerry 48, Bush 47. If African-Americans vote as projected for this election, Kerry hits 50. Bush drops to 46. Throw in Hispanics and Muslims and you are looking at Kerry by 5% minimum. Now, I don’t have that poll in front of me so the numbers may be slightly off, but the conclusion is not. Put bluntly: brown face vote, sink Bush boat; blacks in, Kerry win.

    Here is the poll info, too late for me to check my numbers, gotta run to work.

    That is why in Florida and Ohio you will hear more and more about the Republican party violating the law to prevent minorities from voting. It looks like in Florida they will use challenges to slow the vote to a crawl. They also appear to have lost 60,000 absentee voting ballots. In Ohio they are counting on Secretary of State, Republican Uncle Tom, uh, excuse me, Kenneth Blackwell, to disenfranchise his own people.

    This is why GOTV is so important. Kerry must win by a large enough margin to offset the illegal activities of the Republican party.

    Final note: I am a member of an organization that “that raises money for fighters against the U.S. in Iraq." Seriously, I am a terrorist because I am a member of Daily Kos. This comes from Rep. Tom DeLay of Sugarland, TX who told this to a tiny little local paper. I think he is upset because Daily Kos has raised about $55,000 for his opponent, Morrison. I guess Bush hadn’t explained the “internets” to DeLay because rather than his remark reaching only a few select ears, it reached Daily Kos as well. Morrison is ringing up some nice donations as a result of that.

    Goddess Brigit, this is Andy, and I am an alcoholic. I have been kept sober since Imbolc 2001 by Your grace and Your grace alone. I thank you for my daily reprieve. Today is a good day to be sober.

    Please, Goddess, be with me today, all through the day and help me to stay sober all day long. Show me Your will for me and grant me the power to carry that out. Thy will, not mine be done. Be welcome in me and to me; body, heart, mind and soul. Thank You, Blessed Be.
    |