AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Political Yardsign Saga Part 2

(c) Andy Ternay
  • Big Book and 12 & 12


  • Ahhh, the saga of the Kerry/Edwards sign continues. Last night, no sign, no post, no nothing in our front lawn. This morning, post and torn sign were on the lawn when Lisa went to get the paper. Our best guess is that a mother or wife found the sign. She then made the thief return the sign. However, this was an act of maturity beyond what they were capable of. They returned the sign, but they tore it so that it is useless to us.

    We’re buying some new signs from a guy who organizes the local Kerry meetups. If these get damaged, I will try to buy in bulk. I am willing to put a new sign out every day until election day if that is what it takes. Hell, if I thought it would make a difference in the election results, I would put a dozen signs out.

    The person who did this was obviously angry. They are so angry and immature they cannot stomach an opinion different from their own, and that’s kind of sad. What is really sad is that I let it get to me so much last night. That is sad.

    AA has a saying from the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions (or 12 & 12) that it is a spiritual axiom that whenever anything or anybody disturbs us, there is something wrong with us. That is absolutely true.

    If I am angry, I have let someone disturb me. It does not matter if that person is angry as well. By surrendering to anger, I have in effect, given that person permission to control me and my life. They push my buttons, and I obediently react.

    So, practicing letting go . . . it is not that big of a deal. So let go.

    Goddess Brigit, this is a beautiful morning. I am glad to be alive today (unlike other days when I complain violently about having to live and breath and see flowers and birds and shit) and glad to experience it sober. Thank You. Blessed Be.
    |