AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Omni, My Apologies

(c) Free Foto
  • Image courtesy of FreeFoto.com

  • Well, I was looking over my blog and saw that someone named Omni had posted a comment and asked a question . . . and I never got the email. However, I did get the email comment from the post before that one. I checked my trash in case Apple mail thought it was junk . . . no dice. I never got that email!

    This has been an ongoing issue with airmail.net--I am not getting all my email. But I hate to change because I have had the address for years. Hmmm.

    Very frustrating. One of the things I wanted to do with this blog was talk to other spiritually inclined people. I would not want to talk with someone who ignored me, so I may have lost this one . . .

    Omni asked if Karma was a part of my spiritual path. Hmmm. Yes, I think so. Yes, because Wicca and Paganism really don't have a history to build on we tend to borrow form other other faiths. So I do hear many Pagans using the term karma to describe what I interpret as something along the lines of what you send you will also recieve. Wicca also has the Wiccan Rede, which acts as a sort of code of ethics for Witches.

    I think the Wiccan Rede is somewhat silly. Sorry folks, but I do. The explanation for the childish rhymes that I have heard is that the Rede was handed down as oral tradition because keeping written evidence that you were a Witch was a dangerous thing back then. There are a lot of commentaries on the Rede out on the net, some better than others.

    I happen to like:
    The Wiccan Rede: A Historical Journey
    The Wiccan Rede by Wren Walker of Witchvox

    The relationship to karma comes in with the quotes an it harm none, do as ye will which is the Wiccan equivalent of the golden rule do unto others as you would have them do unto you. There is also the threefold law in the Rede: Mind the Three-fold Laws you should three times bad and three times good. The upshot of the threefold law is that if you put out good energy via postive thoughts, prayers, spells and actions, it will come back to you threefold. If you are an asshole, that will also come back to you threefold.

    I think there is a more articulate way to express these ideas than the Rede, but hey, Christians get upset when I suggest improvements to the Bible, Wiccans get ticked when I rewrite the Rede. For now I will let it be.

    Blessings and an apology to you, Omni.
    |