AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Friday, July 01, 2005

Crash Course In Spinal Surgery

It appears that I am a candidate for an anterior cervical discectomy and cervical fusion. What that means is that if I consent to this surgery then they will:

1. Cut a two inch incision in the front of my throat.

2. Use retractors to pull aside veins, arteries, trachea, muscles, etc. until they reach the spinal column.

3. Remove all of the disc between the fifth and sixth vertebrae of the spine (see the flash animation entitled view animation under the description of discectomy).

4. Once that has been completely scraped out, they will put a tiny piece of bone from a cadaver or a piece of plastic impregnated with bone tissue, into the space between the two vertebrae.

5. Insert a small titanium plate attached with screws to hold the bone chip in place until it fuses to the spine. See the flash animation entitled view animation:healing fusion.

It is some measure of my level of discomfort that this seems like a very attractive option. So attractive that I was very upset to learn that it would take two weeks for me to get it done. I never thought spinal surgery would sound like something I would yearn for.

I am assured that I will not lose any noticable motion in my neck. Apparently you must fuse two or more of the vertebrae in order to lose some motion. I would be in the hospital for 24 hours before being discharged. Inso far as activities, I would be free to drive, dive, hike, fuck, clean, shower, etc. immediately. However, I should not push or pull excessively with my left arm and I cannot lift over 10lbs with that arm. The doctor feels that so long as I am using two arms I can easily lift the baby.

I should get an estimate of the costs today. My decision is not yet made.

Goddess, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. Peace.
|