AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Monday, March 07, 2005

Important Social Security/ Bankruptcy Bill Update


A couple of days ago, I blogged my willingness to go to ALMOST ANY LENGTHS to convince Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu to help save Social Security and vote against the Bush privatization plan. Apparently she did not hear about my genrous offer and does not know about my oral skills has heeded the voice of social responsibility because she has issued this press release in which she states:

We do need to strengthen retirement security in our nation. All Americans deserve the confidence that their retirement will be secure -- that Social Security will be there as promised, their 401(k) plans won't be raided through unscrupulous practices, and their pensions won't be squandered by reckless corporate management.

The President's plan doesn't seek to address any of these concerns. It is too narrowly focused and creates too much risk by betting hard-earned savings on an ever-changing stock market when we should be working to add certainty and stability to the system. I agree that we must expand opportunities for retirement saving, but we must not undermine this worthy effort with a flawed privatization scheme that takes the 'security' out of 'Social Security.


This is a grave disappointment for me moment that fills me with pride to know our nation is represented by such strong women as Sen. Landrieu. I am delighted with the stand she has taken to protect our nation's future retirees from poverty and uncertain futures. Thank you, Senator Landrieu!

Luckily for me Unfortunately, the good Senator appears to be in the process of
supporting the truly awful bankruptcy legislation that is currently before Congress. So, it appears my services as a pimp of progressive policy may yet be called for. So, my dear Senator, if you would consider penciling me in on your schedule, I would be most appreciative. I do believe that I have something to offer that none of the lobbyists for the banks and credit card companies have put on the table for consideration.

Senator Landrieu, I am so sure that your ears are tired of hearing the promises of the lobbyists, and your feet ache from marching up and down marble halls. Let's meet in closed chambers with a candle burning and we'll slip off those dress shoes and start with a nice massage of those feet that carry the weight of representing Louisiana. Just loosen you up a little bit, let those knees relax and spread right open. Then on up to the calves and the back of the knees, here that skirt and slip are in the way, let's just dispose of them, shall we? Slide down in the chair just a bit you sensual Senator, you. Then we can move on to matters of higher importance...

I really hope my wife has no interest in reading about Social Security or Bankruptcy. I might then have to take a sudden interest in Senator Landrieu's position on subsidized housing.
|