AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Warmth

  • The key is WILLINGNESS. Once you have that, you are open to the Divine. It matters not what you call the Divine: Allah, Buddha, Christ, Goddess, Jehovah, it's all the same thing. No new tale to tell.

  • I woke up this morning with a dog, Zoey, completely under the covers, curled up at the spot where my knees bent. After I shifted she came out from under the covers and curled up next to me as I cuddled with my wife. After I got up to take my morning meds, I decided I would hit snooze one more time. By this time our big dog, Buzz, had taken over my spot in the bed and Zoey was curled up with my wife. Somehow I made a spot between Buzz and Laura and got to nap there for a few minutes, petting the dog and feeling the baby move.

    Folks, life actually does not get better than that. And that is not a bad thing. I'm not saying that because I am disappointed. Actually, I am very, very content.

    Would you like to hear wisdom? How is this: What you find hateful, do not do to another. This is the essence of the Law. Everything else is commentary. This is what Rabbi Hillel said over two thousand years ago when asked to sum up the Jewish faith.

    That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? I guess he could have stuck in a bit about God, but in some ways that is irrelevant because I'm pretty sure that you have to find a point of willingness to try to do things in such a way that you are not harming others before Divinity enters your life. It's kind of like having a trial version of software on your computer; plug in the password (in this case willingness) and boom, there is the Divine.

    Our challenge, as humans, as spiritual beings, is to do our best to carry this instruction out every day the best we can. The good news is, we don't have to be perfect. It's okay to screw up. Just be willing to admit mistakes, correct the behavior that led to the mistake and move along.

    You don't even have to believe there is a God for this magick to work.

    Drawing on what I said yesterday, that the more you invite something into your life, the more it will manifest itself in your life - think about that in the context of what Rabbi Hillel said. What do you think you would be inviting into your life by trying to live life by treating others as you would wish to be treated? Do you think there would be more love and happiness if you did?

    Now, here comes the hard part. I am going to get up from this desk and go to work. Once there I am going to try to treat others as I wish to be treated. This will be difficult. I am impatient and I mistakenly think I am important or that the ends I am trying to achieve will justify the means. I am wrong when I think so. It is okay to be wrong, but I must try to do better next time. This is hugely important.

    After all, I am trying to create the type of world I would like Anwen Ruth to grow up in.

    Thank You, Great Mother, for all of these gifts You have bestowed upon me. I am so grateful to be alive and sober today. Blessed Be.
    |