AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Corporate Interests

  • Image courtesy of freeimages.co.uk

  • i've been thinking about my beliefs and values and come to the conclusion that there really is not a good term for what I believe politically. I found John Kerry to be too conservative for my tastes, yet I would consider voting for John McCain (or I would have until he voted to confirm Abu Gonzales). Anarchy would be my ideal form of government, but I find myself in support of big government programs like socialized health care and Social Security. These things seem utterly unreconcilable.

    I finally identified the driver behind my support for a strong federal government: international corporations. The reason I find myself supporting so many government programs, interventions, activities, etc. is because I believe in my heart of hearts that corporations are inimical to the interests of the individual and the world we live in. We need a big, strong government to protect us, as individuals, from the massive, selfish corporate entities.

    I am well aware that this is not what is happening, that in fact the government, whether in the hands of the Democratic party or the 'publican party, tends to work more for the corporations than for the individual. However, I am forced to conclude that the our government is better than nothing, which appears to be the alternative.

    Individual interests are directly in contradiction with corporate interests. A company does not benefit when it has to pay high salaries and offer good benefits so it goes elsewhere in search of cheaper skilled labor. Companies do not benefit by bearing the additional costs needed to have a clean environment, so they oppose laws that would force them to consider environmental impacts before operating. Companies do not benefit from product safety or bearing liability for defective products. They lobby to weaken such requirements and laws.

    The market has failed as a force to correct corporate self-interest. The theory of capitalism did not allow for outsourcing or consider worker health. They can't. Often, their own corporate mission of producing maximum return for shareholders is directly contradictory to the interests of the public, and understandably, the corporation sets aside the interests of the public.

    And I see no defense at this time other than a strong government.
    |