AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Friday, December 31, 2004

Of Resolutions And Revolutions

(c) Andy Ternay
  • A view of our Yule tree. Note the Santa skull.

  • Well, good riddance to 2004. I don't actually see how 2005 will be better from a perspective of social justice or in terms of restoring the dignity of the United States of America, but I do see how 2005 may be better for my family.

    For once I can actually give myself an B on carrying out my resolutions. I had resolved:
  • Do one thing everyday to get George W. Bush out of office. I did this with almost a religious fervor. I donated time, money, wrote letters to the editor, and got involved. It is not from my lack of effort that that asshole is still in office. I am also going to finally admit here what I have come to believe: John Kerry won the race. I am now convinced it was stolen. In coming days I will elaborate, but for now, I will simply state that in my opinion, that asshole did not win this election either.

  • Write something every day. I did very well with that.

  • Complete a novel. This is why I don't give myself an A. This one I did not do, in fact, I did not even come close.

  • Work the program of Alcoholics Anonymous to the best of my ability. I am still sober, so I feel pretty good about that.

  • Develop a better and closer relationship with my Higher Power, the Goddess Brigit. I have done so.


  • Overall, I think I did pretty well and am content with what I have done. In addition to the above, Laura and I entered 2004 with $13,288.03 in credit card debt. We paid off $6,662.14 of that debt. That happened despite having an unexpected $1000 dental bill for a procedure insurance did not cover, despite having $1,200 in unforeseen medical copays and despite putting $5,000 cash down on a new car. Yesterday we sent in a check closing one of the evil credit card accounts for good. That was a good feeling.

    Only $6,625.89 in credit card debt left to go. We'll add $2K to that at the start of the year with some dental work, but after that we are going to pay this debt off. Well, at least until the child arrives. After that, we'll have to do the best we can with what we have.

    Resolutions for 2005:
  • Do one thing everyday to destroy the radical Conservative control of media and government.

  • Write something every day.

  • Complete a novel.

  • Work the program of Alcoholics Anonymous to the very best of my ability, one day at a time.

  • Develop a better and closer relationship with my Higher Power, the Goddess Brigit.

  • Be the best husband and father I can be, one day at a time.

  • Talk my wife into a threeway with another woman.


  • I feel pretty good about all of the above.

    May the Goddess bless and keep each of you into the New Year. Blessed Be.

    |