AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Shallow Materialism

(c) Andy Ternay
  • Trumpet vine, still blooming in my neighbor's yard.
  • Over a week ago, I dropped my cell phone into a sink full of water and killed it. We were under the impression it was under warranty, and indeed it was. For just about anything except water damage, it was covered. We don't have the money for a new phone right now (Sprint's cheapest new phone is $149. That is outrageous. Cingular's cheapest is $29.99, AT&T's cheapest is $49). So we called my sister-in-law Carmen and Carmen sent us three old phones of hers and chargers.

    So now I have three cell phones that work. They were all free. I have chargers for them. How could it be better? Aren't I grateful?

    Well, no.

    It appears that Mr. Spirituality here wants a COLOR display for his cell phone. These phones don't have that. They are also a little older and therefore a little larger. The rings suck. How in the hell am I supposed to get hot chicks to notice me with this stone age technology?

    Hmmm. I'm a married man with an expecting wife. Scratch that last bit, okay?

    Remember, I'm the same man who likes to poke fun at our silly commercial newer, better and faster culture. I'm also in terrible debt because of my irresponsible spending choices. I can't afford a new phone. I can't afford a kilt either, but I've ordered one. And in my hands are not one, but three perfectly good, functional cell phones.

    My corporate masters must be very happy. They move the strings and I dance (not very well though, I have white man's disease when it comes to dancing).

    I'm going to use one of the three for a while. It should serve my needs for some months now. I'm happy with that. It is enough. If I repeat that often enough, maybe I will believe it.

    Regarding the supposedly "dead" phone I have, the one that took a bath? The tech at the Sprint store said it could not be fixed. However, I am skeptical of that. The display works. The memory works, all the phone numbers and addresses are there. It rings when someone calls. The only problem is that the speaker and microphone are not working. So, there is a short in the phone.

    I don't believe them when they tell me it would be too expensive to fix. I think they simply want me to buy a new phone. That is wasteful to me and I wish I could fix it myself.

    Good Morning Goddess Brigit, my name is Andy and I am an alcoholic. I have been kept sober since Imbolc of 2001 by Your grace and Your grace alone. I'd like to take this moment to thank You, my Higher Power, for my daily reprieve. Today is a good day to be sober.

    Goddess, please be with me today, all through the day and help me to stay sober all day long. Show me Your will for me and grant me the power to carry that out. Thy will, not mine, be done. Thank You, Blessed Be.
    |