AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Helping Others

Oh, yeah, part of the reason we all need to help others is because helping others is part of our own self care. Helping others helps me. I feel better. I learn from it. I gain a feeling of community, of being a part of. Part of nurturing my own self, growing the parts of me I want to see grow is helping other people when and where I can. Holding a door for someone laden with packages. Talking with an alcoholic. Donating food to a food bank. Giving a neighbor my old stereo speakers.

Sure, I help someone else. I also help myself. There is nothing wrong with that. That is part of the process of planting, tilling, fertilizing, watering the parts of me that in the sunlight of the Goddess' spirit will grow to become the man I want to become.

Okay, I just read that last sentance and it sounds like New Age Bullshit to me - except that it really is factually true and I have physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually experienced it for myself.
|