AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Hardware Issues

I had my 130gb hard drive crater on me over the weekend. The drive is less than a year old. I will be paying $89 diagnostic fee and whatever hourly fee for data recovery plus buying a new drive. So I cannot recommend the Que!M3 drives by Digital Peripheral Solutions to anyone. I am not saying all their drives and products are bad. I am simply saying I cannot recommend them.

I could care less about the smut on the drive (okay, except for the folder of redheads), but I really, really want my iPhoto library back and my iTunes folder back. When I purchased this iMac I thought 20gb was plenty of room. It wasn't. As soon as I started to take pictures, my space needs expanded dramatically.

But if I lose it all, well, to be blunt, only I am to blame. I had meant to figure out a way to back the drive up, purchase a second big drive, but things came up and I never did. I have never, ever, had a drive just crater on me. The drive did it all on its own; it never fell or was dropped. As a matter of fact, I don't think it was ever moved from where I originally put it. So heed my cautionary tale and back up your data!

|