AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

My Friends Robbie and Amber



I got to speak with Robbie yesterday and that made me feel good.

Robbie was my very first girlfriend. We dated for about three months, I think. Our relationship ended because it turned out that we shared a common passion: women. Robbie is a lesbian. So it is a good thing we did not stay together until she became governor of New Jersey.

Actually, if any woman in my life comes to me and says, “Andy, I’m a lesbian.” I always have the same response: “Cool. That’s okay. You know I wish you all the happiness in the world. Can I watch?”

Robbie would laugh and say “No!” in a tone of mock outrage.

She’s in a committed relationship with Amber. I really like Amber both because she is smart and funny, but also because when I see the two of them together I can tell they are in love. Amber and Robbie take care of each other and I hope Lisa and I treat each other with as much love and care as Amber and Robbie.

Amber is studying to go into the ministry. I believe she is Disciples of Christ? I think that is her denomination? In any case, last year when I visited I was able to meet their Minister who struck me as a wonderful and fascinating lady. Since I am thinking seriously about trying to become a Unitarian Minister I did want to talk to Amber about her calling. Amber would be a good minister, I believe.

(an interruption: one of the animals brought us a dead mouse this morning. They are thoughtful, loving creatures that way. Since they are all predators, there is no use screaming an jumping up and down. We just thank them, pat them on the head and give them a treat)

Anyway the upshot of this is that last year I got to visit them after the Chicago pets trade show and it looks like I will be welcome to do so again this year. I am very excited about going—not to the show, but to see Robbie and Amber. That will be very, very cool.

It’s funny, my friendship with Robbie. We dated in high school, she came out and we became friends. Then I drifted into my alcoholic world and lost touch with her for ten years. Out of all the people I had ignored, brushed off, etc. during my drinking, the only one I missed enough to hunt for on a regular basis was Robbie. It turned out that she was doing the same thing and she found me.

Robbie survived cancer during those years and she is stronger now than she was before and that is saying something because Robbie is a survivor. I thank the Goddess for the gift of having Robbie back in my life today. I don’t talk to her nearly enough, but I am grateful she is there.

BTW--for my Pagan friends and those interested in standing stones, check out Robbie's page on Caelum Moor.

Good Morning Goddess Brigit, my name is Andy and I am an alcoholic. I have been kept sober one day at a time since Imbolc 2001 and that is by Your grace alone. I’d like to take this moment to thank Your for my daily reprieve. Today is a good day to be sober. Please be with me today, all through the day and help me to stay sober all day long. Show me Your will for me and grant me the power to carry that out. Thy will, not mine, be done.
|