AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Old Friends, Good Friends

Last night I had dinner with three lovely ladies: my wife Lisa, and my friends Laura and Lyn, whom I met in college. It was very cool because I have not seen Laura or Lyn for about eleven years. The Goddess has been good to me, people evidently like me and miss me because they drove all the way out from Arlington just to see us.

Lyn has been through some hard times with money and her ex husband. I only mention this because I would like to learn from her how to keep the kind of positive attitude she has. How she separates her ex from the things he did and likes him but not his behavior is amazing.

One of the neatest things she said was that at her work when she saw people who complain she realized that most of them were smart enough to realize there was a problem but that they did not have the problem solving skills to solve it. Lyn then offhandedly made the comment that teaching them those skills was a pleasure. Later, she remarked how satisfying it was to watch people develop and grow on the job.

What made those comments so special was how offhandedly she made them. She was not bragging about herself or talking about a management fad. Rather, this is how she lives her life. Lyn is special because to her there is nothing special about helping other people. I have always thought Lyn was smart and nice. What I failed to appreciate in the past is that Lyn is also kind and empathetic.

I do not think there are many people who daily walk the earth with the attitude of “Hmm, I will help others simply because it is satisfying to do so.” I sure as hell don’t. I have to work hard to care for others, and I am better today than yesterday, but nonetheless it is not an ingrained behavior.

Lyn is engaged and I wish her and her family brightest blessings.

Laura was a ball of energy in college and I do not see that she has slowed down. This is good. When we run out of petroleum we can connect cables to Laura and she will power the DFW area. Laura is, well, Laura. She is starting her own photography business and I think that she will do very well on her own. I have seen her photos and she is immensely talented.

It was a blessing to have seen them and I must keep in touch.

Good Morning Goddess Brigit, my name is Andy and I am an alcoholic. I have been kept sober, one day at a time since Imbolc of 2001 by Your Grace and Your Grace alone. I would like to take this moment to thank You, my Higher Power for this daily reprieve. Today is a good day to be sober.

Great Goddess, please be with me today all through the day and help me to stay sober all day long. May I be more like Lyn and let service to my fellows become a part of my nature. May I be more like Laura that I carry my enthusiasm with me. May I be a good husband for my wonderful wife.

Adjuva Brigitta! Thank You! Blessed Be!
|