AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Sunday, June 20, 2004

My lack of mythological education

I am trying to study mythology on my own. I am not getting very far, I really need like a professor or a professional to teach this to me. See, I think that the theologies of all of these religions are failing me because I am looking only at the surface of what is being taught.

I have not developed the language to understand what I am reading. I do not grasp the metaphors, I do not see the parallels. I have watched Joseph Campell’s The Power of Myth a couple of times, and I get so excited, it makes sense to me there! Then I sit and read the Mabignion and am overwhelmed with this feeling of irrelevance. What does this mean? What should it mean to me?

Often I leave such reading feeling that either a) our ancestors were morons, b) I’m the moron because I cannot make the connection or c) I am so divorced from the world around me that I can’t make the connections which add meanings to the myth.

So I must find a new way to learn rather than this method of hit-or-miss randomly reading mythology and theology.

I have a confession to make with regards to all of this: the Celtic myths that I have adopted, where I draw from for my theology, I have finally read some of them. They are stupid, violent and childish in my view. Not all of them, but many of them. It was a disappointing experience.
|