AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

I'm Hosting Samhain!

(c) Andy Ternay
  • I have always had a fascination with SKULLS. They are just so cool. This is a cast of a Neandertal skull, and some deer antlers. I was having fun.

  • Looks like I have Samhain. That is my second major Sabbat to host this year. Imbolc was the other and it was a blast to do. But I had better start getting ready to host Samhain. There will be a lot to do. I wonder what I could do to really set the atmosphere.

    Chauvet.

    That would be a really good time to take them to the Chauvet caves. If this is the time when the wall between our world and the Otherworld is thinnest, what better time could there be to host this?

    Okay then, how do I prep them, set the mood?

    Borrow rolls of dark fabric from Nici to make the room dim and hard to see in.
    Black paper?
    Plastic on floor covered with clay?
    Paper mache?? Stalagtites? Stalagmites?
    Create sound of water dripping
    Glowing tile leading the way
    Bear skull (how do I do that??)
    Cold, room must be very cold.
    Borrow some rocks from Linda
    Use fancy spray paints to create textures of the walls.
    How do I keep outside sounds from coming in?
    Paint the walls, finger paint??

    So, what is the point of this exercise? To meet the shaman (shachick?). Why do we want to meet the Shaman? Because this is going back in time to the birth of religion, of faith. This is us, going to meet our ancestors at the very, very beginning.

    So, food must be very hunter—gatherer oriented. Meat and a primitive bread? Ahhh, paleodiet.com! Kill the mammoth, kill the mammoth, kill the mammoth.
    Okay, I am over it.

    So, we have a magickal intent, I think, of reaching the spirits of our ancestors from whom we want to get a glimpse of the beginning of faith. We will really need to cleanse and purify the space. Should Loni and I do ritual?

    Gosh, just brainstorming, letting ideas flow from one place to another. Letting the thoughts slide around.

    Okay Goddess, I am going to need Your help. All of this is a frivolous waste of time without You being in the mix, in fact, unless You are the reason for the mix it is all just silliness. Please be with me and guide me as I write and design this ritual that it may honor You and teach us more about how You are a part of our lives. On a more selfish note, please help me stay sober today, all day long. Show me Your will for me and grant me the power to carry that out. Thy will, not mine be done. So mote it be!
    |