AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

New Baby


Well, we have a another new baby at home and this one is taking up fully as much time as the other baby. I am, of course, speaking of our new iMac G5. Now I know that some of you out there are going: Jesus, Andy, isn't that stupid and irresponsible to purchase such a high dollar item when you have a new baby and you don't know if you are going to be a stay at home dad? And what about your credit debt; I thought you were paying that down?

To which I would reply: But it's a 20" iMac G5! Do you know how many baby photos I can store on this? I can use GarageBand to make theme music for baby DVD's produced in iMovie!

All silliness aside, you are right; it was expensive. However, there were some compelling factors. First, if you recall, last year I paid over $1,000 to restore a crashed hard drive. Yet, by March I was encountering the same dilemma of having too much data and not enough backup. The old iMac G3 only had a 20gb hard drive (honestly, I remember as a kid my dad bringing home this huge hard drive and announcing: this is a 20mb hard drive, we'll never have to use all that space) and iPhoto and iTunes were overwhelming it. So, again I had no backup. The clincher was the CD-R drive dying on me. I could not burn CD's anymore.

Fortunately, I have three close friends who work for Apple and one was willing to donate their once-per-year employee discount to my purchase. I won't tell you how much I saved; it would make you physically ill. But let's just say that I showed the amount we would save to the normally frugal Laura and she said: DO IT.

So, we did and I love it. It is fast, it is quiet, Lord of the Rings DVD's look incredible on it. This is easily the nicest computer I have ever owned and is much, much faster than I expected.

It did set us back, but I can't pretend I don't like it.

Goddess, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. Blessed Be.
|