AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Conservative Rudeness And My Response

In a post on Daily Kos about a confrontation between Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and a questioner I wrote the following comments regarding a man who asked Justice Scalia if he ever sodomized his wife:
I don't think that was disrespectful.
This is a man who is a public figure, who opened himself up to public questions and who may cast a deciding vote on whether or not such behavior is legal.  If the questioner used profanity or wanted an explicit rendition, that would have been inappropriate.
Conservatives are the ones who think sex is dirty or not fit for public discussion.  There is nothing wrong with an adult frank discussion about it, especially if it involves the privacy of our bedroom vs. the police powers of the state.


Somebody questioned me:
Do you honestly believe the questioner was trying to have "an adult frank discussion" with Scalia on this issue?

I clarified with:
No, not a discussion. Maybe I should have said, an adult way of making his point.
I think that Scalia's reply is very telling; he wants a right to privacy in his marriage, in his bedroom.  Scalia does not want the world to know what he and his wife do consensually and in private.  Just like everybody else.  It was effective way to make the point that privacy is important.


Here is the email I received, quoting the above:
Sounds like you enjoy the occassional dick up your ass, huh liberal ??? Michael

Here is my reply:
Michael, I'm going to take the time tonight to pray for you, that you receive in your life all the things I want in mine: health, prosperity, opportunity, family, friendship, love, a relationship with a God of your understanding and serenity.

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.
Blessings.

My sponsor told me that when I encounter assholes like this, I should pray for them, as the Big Book recommends. She also said, I did not have to mean a word of it. Just do it, to get the resentment out.

It works. I don't resent him anymore.

Blessings, and thank you for your prayers and well wishes.

Oh, just to give you too much information, Laura is not into strap-ons so I have no idea if I'd enjoy a dick up my ass or not.

UPDATE: I just took a shower and realized that was NOT very good recovery above. First off, I should not have emailed him that response. That will just needle and annoy him further. I should have prayed for him all on my own without even responding to him. Second, I did not need to go brag about what I had done, that was awfully self-righteous of me.

My amends to him will be to stay the hell out of his life. My amends to you is this apology. Sorry.
|