AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Sharing The Warmth Of Brigit's Fire

  • It was wonderful of Angie to share this with me; even more wonderful of her to let me share this with you.

  • I have mentioned that I participate in a spiritual group called Ord Brighideach. What we do is tend the flame of Brigit, each of us taking a shift once every twenty days. This is in keeping with the history of St. Brigid of Kildare. For centuries the nuns of Kildare tended the flame of St. Brigid, the tradition being that each nun took one of nineteen shifts and then the Saint Herself tended the flame on the twentieth night. It is possible that this tradition is a survival of the worship of the Celtic Goddess Brigit.

    The purpose of the flametending, for me, is to bring into my mundane life an element of the magickal, and to take time to slow down, meditate and be grateful for the life I have.

    I have gotten in the habit of emailing the woman who tends the flame in the shift immediately after me, just a quick note saying Hi, I am sending the flame your way. She always says Hello right back. Well, this time I got back the following note:

    Hi Andy :-)
    Got it! Thank you.
     
    And blessings to you and yours too, Andy.
     
    It's snowing here, big, heavy, white flakes. The house and yard are blanketed. I have my flame on the back deck tonight, inside of a glass lantern box. The table it rests on is snow covered and the tracks that I left earlier, putting it there are gone. The back of our house is glass and it's pretty much all on one level so I can see the see the flame from any of the rooms but I'll pull heavy draperies tonight because it's cold, except for in my bedroom where I'll leave them open so I can see it all night. I have another going inside the house but watching Her ...the flame in the snow, it moves my spirit.

    ~Angie


    Thank you for sharing that Angie. Blessed Be!
    |