AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Monday, August 09, 2004

Random Monday Thoughts

  • My familiar? No, that is Smokey. He is not bright enough to be a familiar. I guess he could be my unfamiliar.

  • I had a dream this morning from which I remember the following: The Wheel of the Year and Akkadians. Since I am a practicing Witch and dreams are tools for predicting the future I predict that George W. Bush will announce that as part of his traditional family values campaign we will return to the Wheel of the Year as conceived by the Akkadians. John Kerry, not to be outdone, will convert to Zorastrianism.

    I know that sounds farfetched, but the only two undecided voters left are of Persian/Akkadian descent. This is all an attempt to appeal to them. Unfortunately for both main candidates, they consider themselves to be Persian Hittites so all of the pandering will be in vain. However, it will be good to see Astarte worshipped in the White House, regardless of who wins. Actually, hearing George W. misstate the Goddess’ name as “Ass-tart” will become annoying quickly.

    What a wonderfully lighthearted way to start the week!

    I am proud of our soldiers and ashamed of their officers. I read yesterday how members of the Oregon National Guard saw Iraqi police beating prisoners and went and stopped the abuse. Like almost all of our soldiers, they did the best that they could with what they had. We should be proud of their best. Their best instincts were absolutely correct and what they did was the right thing.

    They were then ordered to hand the prisoners back to the Iraqi police and leave.

    The reason for that order is obvious. The puppet regime in place there has no legitimacy or authority, so for American soldiers to have removed prisoners from their control further showed how impotent they are. That could not be allowed to stand.

    I can only imagine the sick feeling those soldiers must have had, returning prisoners to their torturers. These soldiers reported that many of the prisoners appeared to have been beaten and evidence of torture was readily available. Equipment for torture was found.

    Now, remember, these Iraqi police are going to protect the Iraqi democracy we have established. In another sign that Iraq is ready for democracy, the new government shut down the offices of Al-Jazeera over the weekend.

    This war is a nightmare of chaos waiting to explode. What will we do if that happens? Pull troops from South Korea again? Abandon commitments to peacekeeping forces worldwide? Institute a draft? I want John Kerry to win the presidency, but if he does I think the poor decisions of the Bush administration may destroy his ability to do anything positive.

    I am determined to pick up working the twelve steps this week. I need to do them. The good news is, my sponsor is now available so we can sit down together and again work the magick that happens when one alcoholic speaks to another alcoholic.

    Good Morning Goddess Brigit! My name is Andy and I am an alcoholic. I have been kept sober one day at a time since Imbolc 2001. This is due to Your grace and Your grace alone. I’d like to take this moment to thank You, my Higher Power, for this my daily reprieve. Today is a good day to be sober!

    Please Goddess, be with me today all through the day and help me to stay sober all day long. Show me Your will for me and grant me the power to carry that out. Thy will, not mine, be done. Be welcome in me and to me; body, heart, mind and soul. Thank You, Blessed Be!
    |