AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Finding the Goddess in the Small Things



After seeing the movie yesterday, my wife and I walked the dogs. Somehow we got to talking about Stalin. My wife commented that she could not believe in God/Goddess/Higher Power because men like Stalin and Pol Pot are able to live out their lives without having to face the consequences of their deeds. Lisa felt that there could not be a loving Divinity if such evil was left unchallenged in the world.

We got home and realized that a small kitten had followed us home from a neighbor’s down the street. I picked the kitten up and walked it home, which gave me several minutes of peace to think. On my return I ran into Lisa who had come to meet me.

Lisa told me that seeing me walking down the sidewalk in the dark, kitten in hand, was the nicest thing she had seen in a long time and that I was her knight in shining armor. I don’t know about that, but it made me feel very good.

I was able to tell her that I think that the Goddess, or Higher Power, lets us have our free will to be as evil as we please. But She is always there, and if She is invited, She will come into this world. She enters this world in small ways, giving us glimpses of Her love for us; and Her sorrow over the choices we make.

We don’t have to carry the weight of the history of human evil on our shoulders. But we do have to do the best we can with what we have. We do have to try to make our own little part of the world a better place. Our responsibility to the world around us is simple and it is to live by the ideal that can be found in every world religion. We must do our best to treat others as we would have them treat us.

If all of us actually tried to do that, then this world would be a much, much better place. It really is that simple I believe. Just treat others as we want to be treated.

Good Morning Goddess Brigit, my name is Andy and I am an alcoholic. You graced me with sobriety on February 2, 2001 and I am thankful for this. Please be with me today, all through the day and help me to stay sober all day long. Show me Your will for me and grant me the power to carry that out. Thy will, not mine be done.

And grant me patience with these asshole neighbors with the barking dogs!
|