AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Late Updates...

I'm sorry my blog has been hard to read... I have been so angry it is eating into my attitude at work and at home. That's not acceptable and it means that I am not spiritually fit.

Maybe I should call my sponsor... you know, the one I haven't called in over a week because I am so embarrassed that I missed her getting her ten year sober birthday chip... Yeah, you can color me ashamed. I did call her on her birthday and sing happy birthday to her, but considering how poorly I sing, that's probably more of a negative than a positive.

Laura and I have not decided whether or not to take someone in. The fear of something happening to the baby is the issue. There is really no question that if it were the two of us, we'd already have done it. Rational or not, I understand Laura's fear because I share it. At the same time this would be the way to contribute. So I am feeling more shame right there.

Before I go, more news...

At today's press conference, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff asserted a two pronged defense of the handling of rescue and relief efforts:

  • He said government officials did not expect both a powerful hurricane and a breach of levees that would flood the city of New Orleans.

  • He blamed Governor Kathleen Blanco, stating that she either failed to ask for military, FEMA or National Guard aid or, at the very least, failed to use the proper legal channels to request this assistance.

    Nice try on both. Let's demolish contention number one and for once, I don't have to scour the net for proof; I can cite the exact same CNN story that reported on the Chertoff press conference. That's right: CNN IS PRACTICING ACTUAL JOURNALISM. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll recover and go back to being the all missing white women all the time network. But anyway from CNN:
    Defending the U.S. government's response to Hurricane Katrina, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff argued Saturday that government planners did not predict such a disaster ever could occur.

    But in fact, government officials, scientists and journalists have warned of such a scenario for years.

    CNN: Chertoff: Katrina scenario did not exist
    The whole story reads like that. A paragraph of Chertoff's lying followed by a paragraph, usually bolstered with quotes, links or other evidence, disproving his assertions.

    As for his attempts to blame Governer Blanco, well, first of all she is not clean in this either. I have no doubt, none at all that everyone from the city engineers to the mayor, to the president, will owe an accounting. But Chertoff's claim is an outright lie. We have the letter Governor Blanco wrote the day before the hurricane hit requesting, through FEMA, all kinds of specific aid, citing the federal and state laws involved. I don't see anywhere in the letter that says specifically military or National Guard involvement but I think you would have to be clinically brain dead to not interpret the letter as a request for any and all aid available.

    In any case, Chertoff is simply trying to avoid responsibility that is clearly his. Hell, go visit the homesite for the Department of Homeland Security and read:
    In the event of a terrorist attack, natural disaster or other large-scale emergency, the Department of Homeland Security will assume primary responsibility on March 1st for ensuring that emergency response professionals are prepared for any situation. This will entail providing a coordinated, comprehensive federal response to any large-scale crisis and mounting a swift and effective recovery effort.
    In other words, Chertoff is the where the buck stops. So don't buy into this bullshit about it being the Governor's fault. She may have plenty to answer for on her own, but this was all Chertoff's baby.

    One final outrage for the day; apparently President Bush faked repairs to a damaged levee for a photo opportunity. The person accusing him of this lie is United States Senator from Louisiana, Mary Landrieu. Her evidence? She flew over the same levee a day later and none of the equipment and repairs she saw while she was there with the president remained except for one single piece of equipment. You can read her press release here.

    One final question: Where are the Democrats in all of this?
  • |